Stop Suffering from Dry Eye
How would we describe dry eye syndrome in a word? Uncomfortable. Dry eye is pervasive; roughly 16.4 million Americans have been diagnosed with dry eye. But just because it’s common doesn’t mean it’s normal.
Fortunately, you don’t have to live with dry eye symptoms forever. There are therapies available to treat the symptoms of dry eye. Let your eye care team at StylEyes treat your dry eye for more comfortable vision.
The Basics of Dry Eye
Dry eye is an irritating sensation where the tears can’t properly lubricate the eyes. This can result from either poor quality tears or not enough tears.
The tear film on your eyes is made up of 3 layers:
- The mucus layer— closest to the eye, helps the tears stay in place
- The watery layer— the middle section, protects the cornea, keeps the eye hydrated, & repels bacteria
- The lipid layer—the oily, outermost layer produced in the meibomian glands, keeps the eye blinking smoothly
When the tear film is disrupted, it can leave the eyes feeling burning, irritated, and scratchy. Dry eye can cause complications like eye infections and damage to the surface of the eye. On top of that, constant eye irritation can decrease your quality of life.
Dry Eye Symptoms
The range of dry eye symptoms is wide and includes:
- A stinging, burning, or scratchy feeling
- A sensation of having something in your eyes
- Discomfort while wearing contact lenses
- Light sensitivity
- A mucusy, stringy discharge
- Redness in & around the eyes
- Poor night vision
- Watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- Tired eyes
Common Dry Eye Causes & Risk Factors
Dry eye can be caused or exacerbated by:
- Environmental irritants (such as smoke, wind, air conditioning, dust, etc.)
- Medications (like antihistamines, birth control, antidepressants, or hormone replacement therapy)
- Medical conditions (including diabetes, thyroid conditions, & rheumatoid arthritis)
- Extended periods of near work (looking at a computer, reading, or any other close up, focused work that lessens blinking)
- Laser eye surgery
BlephEx Dry Eye Therapy
StylEyes is proud to offer BlephEx, a dry eye therapy that helps keep your eyelids clean and functioning properly. Eyelid inflammation can block oil production and flow, exacerbating dry eye symptoms.
Fight Dry Eye Syndrome with Our Optometry Team
A well-lubricated eye is a happy eye. Don’t suffer under the constant irritation of dry eye symptoms. Book an appointment to see what relief your StylEyes optometrist can offer you.
Wanna see what we’re all about?
Our practice is located in the same building complex as Noodles & Company and Sleep Number. We also have free parking in front of our office. If you have any questions prior to your visit, please give us a call!
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Thursday: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Friday: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
Error: No feed found.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.